Six of Crows - Review

Six of Crows

Book: Six of Crows
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Type: Duology (maybe soon to be a trilogy!)
Rating: ★★★★★




This book. THIS BOOK. THIS BOOK owns my heart. And THIS BOOK doesn't deserve my trashy review. Let's move on.



Many people state that the characters own this book. That the characters are the best part of this book. I think not.

Why?

Well, it's simple.

The writing, the plot, the world-building also deserve it. It's how beautifully these elements are handled, which compliments the characters. I mean, just look at that!:
A perfect solution, but the Ketterdam weather was not cooperating. There'd been no breeze off the harbor that day, and a gray milk fog had wreathed the city's canals and crooked alleys in damp. Even here among the mansions of the Geldstraat, the air hung thick with the smell of fish and bilge water, and smoke from the refineries on the city's outer islands had smeared the night sky in a briny haze. The full moon looked less like a jewel than a yellowy blister in need of lancing.


Isn't it so beautiful? <3

And then with the plot twists and Kaz a clever dog. Ha.
And the world-building was hard to capture at first, but now it's so very clear. I just realized we should at least glance at the map.



But I guess now it's time to reflect on those characters and ships.



Kaz Brekker
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

As I mentioned before, ha! That clever dog. Or maybe another animal. Anyways, his cold character and brains are captured so well. The unpredictability of him.
"I'm a businessman," he'd told her. "No more, no less."
"You're a thief, Kaz."
"Isn't that what I just said?"

His backstory too. At least, I know one of the reasons for his behavior. I'm sorry, but I was surprised he still had feelings after that. I said I'm sorry.
Kaz Brekker was grinning like an idiot.

His coolness is nice too, I guess? I'm not much of a fangirl, but yes, I'm 99% into it.
Kaz replied with a time-saving gesture that relied heavily on his middle finger and disappeared belowdecks.


Jen's gotta rock it.

Inej Ghafa
A spy known as the Wraith.

My queen! My beautiful Wraith. She deserves the world along with Nina (onto that later). She is so relatable in an odd way (not to mention her characteristics, physical traits, and name are insanely Indian).
“Besides, she was the Wraith – the only law that applied to her was gravity, and some days she defied that, too.”

A walking, talking idol of girl power. I guess I shouldn't call her any animal, she has thousands of names a fact that I envy.
She was not a lynx or a spider or even the Wraith. She was Inej Ghafa, and her future was waiting above.

Her backstory made so much sense! I'll end her analysis with this note: she is my queen, my beautiful Wraith, deserving the world along with Nina.



Nina Zenik
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

Honestly, she is amazing. My foodie queen, selfless and lovely, and of course; a brunette. I just had to point that out!
Nina just liked to flirt with everything. He’d once seen her make eyes at a pair of shoes she fancied in a shop window.

And yes, she's sensible too.
We are all someone's monster.

Literally, I'd be honored if she kills me. And I'd especially come back from the dead to thank her.
"It's not natural for women to fight."
"It's not natural for someone to be as stupid as he is tall, and yet there you stand."



Jesper Fahey
A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager.

Literally, he is everything. Correction: He and his sarcasm are everything.
Jesper knocked his head against the hull and cast his eyes heavenward. “Fine. But if Pekka Rollins kills us all, I’m going to get Wylan’s ghost to teach my ghost how to play the flute just so that I can annoy the hell out of your ghost.”
Brekker’s lips quirked. “I’ll just hire Matthias’ ghost to kick your ghost’s ass.”
“My ghost won’t associate with your ghost,” Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain.



Wylan Van Eck
A runaway with a privileged past.

He was a cute and innocent touch to the story. And something for Jesper. I was actually shocked that such an intelligent person wasn't able to do that. But I don't care as long as he's acting normal.
"Always hit where the mark isn't looking."
"Who's Mark?" asked Wylan.

Though he should get back his appearance or else-
"You could be stuck like this."
“Why does it matter?”
“I don’t know!” Jesper said angrily. “Maybe I liked your stupid face.”

Okay, we're leaning towards the ship. (Also, that quote is from Crooked Kingdom but who cares.)


Matthias Helvar
A convict with a thirst for revenge.

I have mixed feelings. I mean one minute he makes me want to throw the book on the wall, and the next he is swoon-worthy. At least helpful to Nina. Takes him a long time to come to his senses.
“The life you live, the hate you feel—it’s poison. I can drink it no longer.”







And then there are the ships. The sailing/non-sailing ships. I'm not gonna divide the discussions for the ships but oh well.

I think Kaz and Inej could do better. I can see so much that can bloom, but then, well we know what may happen.
She’d laughed, and if he could have bottled the sound and gotten drunk on it every night, he would have.

But then, it's so heartbreaking.
“I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all.”




Nina and Matthias is the relationship that you see in the end, but it still makes you weak in the knees. It's so warm, and we know what it actually signifies: sometimes your monster is the only one who can console you.

“I have been made to protect you. Only in death will I be kept from this oath.”




“Stay,” she panted. Tears leaked from her eyes. “Stay till the end.”
“And after,” he said. “And always.”
“I want to feel safe again. I want to go home to Ravka.”
“Then I’ll take you there. We’ll set fire to raisins or whatever you heathens do for fun.”
“Zealot,” she said weakly.
“Witch.”
“Barbarian.”
“Nina,” he whispered, “little red bird. Don’t go.”


Okay, I used to ship Nina and Inej. I mean, of course, they'll work out!
“Nina Zenik, as soon as I figure out where you’ve put my knives, we’re going to have words.”
“The first ones had better be Thank you, oh great Nina, for dedicating every waking moment of this miserable journey to saving my sorry life.”
Jesper expected Inej to laugh and was startled when she took Nina’s face between her hands and said, “Thank you for keeping me in this world when fate seemed determined to drag me to the next. I owe you a life debt.”
Nina blushed deeply. “I was teasing, Inej.” She paused. “I think we’ve both had enough of debts.”
“This is one I’m glad to bear.”
“Okay, okay. When we’re back in Ketterdam, take me out for waffles.”
Now Inej did laugh. She dropped her hands and appeared to speculate. “Dessert for a life? I’m not sure that seems equitable.”
“I expect really good waffles.”
“I know just the place,” said Jesper. “They have this apple syrup—”
“You’re not invited.”

But now they're more like sisters for me. Because of the way they talk about Kaz and Matthias- 😂


“I’m a very valuable investment.” “Tell me he didn’t say that.” “Of course he did. Well, not the valuable part.” “Idiot.” “How’s Matthias?” “Also an idiot.”
And:
“Matthias the tulip." "The big, brooding, yellow tulip.”
Jesper and Wylan's are the ones who keep it light and cute, and oh my god how much does Wylan blush! I can't wait to see what happens next. :D
“If only you could talk to girls in equations.” There was a long silence, and then, eyes trained on the notch they’d created in the link, Wylan said, “Just girls?” Jesper restrained a grin. “No. Not just girls.”
 

And now the whole crew. Because together, they're invincible. And yes, I mean it. Their "chemistry" is wonderful. True, some of them were skeptical at first, but they grew on each other. And that's what matters.
Kaz leaned back. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?" "Knife to the throat?" asked Inej. "Gun to the back?" said Jesper. "Poison in his cup?" suggested Nina. "You're all horrible," said Matthias.
And soon enough, all six were saying this:
No mourners. No funerals. Among them, it passed for 'good luck'.
And then the relationships between the odd characters (not the romantic relationships) are also so good.
“Scheming face,” Inej murmured. Jesper nodded. “Definitely.”
And after that cliffhanger, I am not sure how I'll be able to survive without knowing what happens. So long, my crows. You deserve all the stars in the world.
“The heart is an arrow. It demands aim to land true.”

Comments