Rusty and the Leopard - Review

Rusty and the Leopard

Book: Rusty and the Leopard
Author: Ruskin Bond
Type: Novel
Rating: ★★★✰✰



I'm so confused. I am not sure what to rate it. Not 3, because my rating system says: "It's not really my favorite. Decent, but forgettable. I might not read it again."
Yeah. But it's decent, and NOT forgettable. So I might be untrue to my rating.

But this one is so hard to decipher. I liked it, but it was surely not Ruskin Bond's best work. It could have been so much better. So, beware a rant, a big rant ahead.

To continue, sometimes I just wanted to cringe away from Rusty; spending so much time in his head got tiring. I felt he was so 'sexist' at times... but well, he is a 17 yr old teen. Never forget that.



But how are we supposed to keep that in mind? By some actions, Rusty felt as if he was an 11 or 12-year-old. In some parts, it felt like he was 30, thinking that he has to take responsibility. Ugh, man.
No, he was not exactly annoying, but not exactly likable either.

BuT. bUt. You probably know, BUT... wait for it... I DNF-ed this 2 times before. And finally, on my third try, I succeeded. I didn't want to admit, because it's Ruskin Bond. Yes, I'm biased.
The first time, I suspect I was too young, not understanding anything.
Then, maybe it got better. Earlier in the year, I started reading it, but soon stopped, when I decided to reread Harry Potter.
So yeah.



But then, what happened to the title?! LEOPARD? SHOW ME THAT LEOPARD. HOW IS IT 'RUSTY AND THE LEOPARD' WHEN WE JUST GET A CHAPTER WHERE RUSTY REMENCISCES HIS MEETING WITH DIFFERENT LEOPARDS, TWICE. IN THE PAST. SO BASICALLY, THIS NOVEL IS USELESS?!

You may be tired of my excessive use of CAPITAL LETTERS, underscores, italics, and bolds, but hey! I warned you. Because that's what we do in rants. Even if we are not sure of what to rate the book.

And then the only lesson we get from this big 300-page novel is that move on. Life goes on. It's a good - keyword: good, not great - lesson. I could literally make out 10 lessons from Bond's 3-page short story. But this.

So let's conclude this mess. I liked it, but am not obsessed with it like the other collections. It could have been so much better. And that title. I am sorry. So, 3.5 stars, rounded down.



Comments