Candyfloss - Review







Candyfloss

Name: Candyfloss
Author: Jacqueline Wilson
Type: Standalone
Rating: 
★★★★★


Definitely. Going to my favorites shelf.

Floss is a girl, who is kind, playful, loving, caring, and she has soo many good qualities that I can't even name. Her age wasn't exactly mentioned, but I assume she's 10/11 y-o. She gives us no effort to fall in love with her! She also loves her parents, like anything.

But, the problem is, her parents split up. Her father owns a cafe, that used to be popular for its 'Chip Butties'. But now, there are only three regular customers. He is the sweetest fictional father!

Her father now doesn't earn well, which is why her mother divorced him and married Steve. Steve is handsome, and he earns well, too. Though he pretends that he does, he doesn't like Floss. Floss lives with her mother and Steve for 5 days in a week, then for 2 days, she lives with her dad. Tiger is mum's and Steve's baby. 

Now, for Floss's school life. Floss is Rhiannon's best friend, who is the most popular and the prettiest girl in the class. Rhiannon loves teasing people, especially the new girl, Susan Potts, as 'Swotty Potty' just because she is brainy. Floss likes to be Rhiannon's best friend, because of her popularity and she feels special because many people want to be Rhiannon's friend (including Margot), but she only hopes that Rhiannon wouldn't tease people. She really likes Susan and wants to be her friend.

This topic focuses on how it feels to be a "sidekick". Floss has to be on Rhiannon's side, otherwise, Rhiannon would start teasing her too. I really like how smoothly and swiftly Wilson has explored this topic.

Now, for the plot. Steve gets a 6-month transfer to Australia, and her mum breaks this news to her on her Birthday. She can't go without her father and will miss him, so she decides that she won't go and will stay with her father instead. Her mum is sad and angry but she can't do anything to change her mind.

Her dad is not perfect, and she has trouble waking up on time and going to school with proper attire. People in her school think that her mother walked out on her.

Now, believe me, even though I know that her mother didn't walk out on her, it was totally not considerate of her to go and marry Steve, without thinking of Floss. She may have asked her how she feels, but poor Floss would have said it's okay! Her mother should have tried to be in Floss's shoes, at least!

In between, Floss changes her life - and friends - on the way. The ending was really, really nice, though I want to know what happens to Floss and her mother. If I depend on my imaginations, it won't work out!! Wilson, tell me!!!

OVERALL, I LOVE THIS BOOK. IT'S THE BEST. LIKE, THE BEST!

Edition Review:
If you have read my reviews, I don't usually do edition reviews, but this time, I HAD TO. IT WAS SO GOOD!
So, there was a whole page full of little illustrations before the starting of each chapter. It gave glimpses of what is going to happen in the chapter, and made me anticipate it! It was a contributing factor to my rating! Loved it!!

Comments